Sunday, January 1, 2012

Birthday - Hospital - Christmas

Nolen turned 4 on December 19th. He had a Spiderman party this year.

My lovely hospital room. I got sick the night of December 12th. I went to the doctor on December 14th and he thought it was just a virus and that I should take Tylenol and get plenty of sleep and should be better by Friday. Friday rolled around and I was so tired of being in bed. My back was really aching & I thought it was due to laying around too much. After lunch I got worse. Had a cough that would not stop, a very high fever, a sharp pain in my back, and I felt worse than I did on Monday. After a phone call to the doctor, he decided to admit me to the hospital on Friday, December 16th for observation to see what was going on. My fever got to 103.6, I was dehydrated, my potassium level was way too low and my white blood cell count was high. They thought I might have the flu. They put 4 bags of potassium through my IV as fast as possible that night. After a night of no sleep, the doctor informed me that I had a kidney infection on Saturday morning. That would explain the very sharp knife like pain in my back that would not stop. They put me on some strong antibiotics and before long the pain was gone. I would get dizzy a lot getting up & down. They were pumping me full of fluids. I was very hard to relax in the hospital with having to use the restroom every hour or two and the nurses coming in the check things all the time. My first IV started to leak & my arm started to swell. On Sunday morning they tried to get another IV in my other hand. After 4 tries, they called in the main nurse and he got it the first try. I was finally released to go home on Monday, December 19th, Nolen's birthday! Had to take strong antibiotics for 10 after I was released. I missed 8 days of work as well. I did visit my students a little bit on their last day of school before Christmas break to hand out their gifts & to prove to them I was still alive. When I got home I found an envelope full of get well cards from them. I'm glad I had a lot of my Christmas shopping done before I entered the hospital. It took a while before I felt like my old self again. It is January 1st and my wrists still hurt a little where the IV's were. I'm hoping that goes away soon.

Santa showed up a few days early to check on the kids.

Greg showed up before Christmas to hand out a few gifts to the kids.


I just love Nolen in this pic!

My beautiful kids!

Me & Alexis
This photo was taken 3 days before I got sick.

Nolen & Alexis all dressed up before they were in the Ebenezer Christmas program. This was taken in the hospital waiting room. I missed a lot of things while I was in the hospital. Alexis really had a tough time while I was in there. It really bothered her.

No comments: