Thank you to Google.com! I found my unknown insect. This is what I found out.
Female wasp "listening" for larvae upon which to lay eggs
Giant ichneumon wasps of both sexes will wander over the surface of logs or tree trunks, tapping with their antennae. Each sex does so for a different reason; females are 'listening' for wood boring larvae of the horntail wasps (hymenopteran family Siricidae) upon which to lay eggs, males are listening for newly emerging females with which to mate. The female wasp pictured above spent upwards of 10 minutes feeling around before beginning to drill her ovipositor into the wood. I estimate this insect at 100 - 110mm long, more than half consisting of ovipositor. The ovipositor itself consists of a hollow central tube through which the eggs are passed, and two slender 'guides' which separate from the tube and form two expanding loops on either side of the abdomen as drilling progresses. You can see these loops in the above series of images.
Ok so it wasn't a stinger, or could it be? The article also added this:
Ovipositors evolved into stingers in some bees and wasps.
(Info. provided by Stephen J. Gould)


3 comments:
This is why I would never survive in the country....
Hey Seals family -
just by luck i came across your blog....good stuff.
although this insect is nasty, i love the "twinkie" pic of Nolan & Alexis in cardinal gear!
check our blog if you get a chance...The Schnedier's
I'm not sure where we can find a good telephone man around here???I don't know what I would do without DSL. It makes life a lot easier.
About the vacuum, I'm sure Larry would've rather used that money on his jeep. He knew I would've bought one sooner or later. I haven't had good luck with Wal-Mart vacuums, but they are much cheaper.
It was good to hear from you.
Post a Comment